My Scrappy Crossroads quilt had been one of my oldest unfinished projects. I’m happy to share that it’s finally completely finished! I rounded up as many pictures of the process that I could find and put together this post to share its journey.
Back in 2014, Lori Holt shared a Scrappy Crossroads tutorial. Many of you know how much I love scrappy quilts and, well, the more complicated the better. By early 2015, I was ready to start so I got to cutting up all of the pretty fabric that I could find and started pairing the squares, pressing, and then pairing again until I got lots of units with 4 pieces.
I gave birth to my second baby, Colton, in April 2015, went on maternity leave for a few weeks, and then went back to work later that Spring. Predictably, my sewing time plummeted, but I faithfully worked on the project in tiny bits through the following winter.
I finished piecing it all in February 2016, folded it up, and forgot about it. Mostly I was overwhelmed – it was mega sized! After taking it out in May 2018 during maternity leave for my third baby, I decided to rip out one column and one row to make it a bit more manageable. Those blocks are all still waiting to be sewn together as a mini quilt.
Last summer I decided it was time to get this project finished. I don’t have any pictures of the basting process because I hate it so much. The backing fabric is 108″ Bee Backings from Lori Holt, which I ordered from The Loopy Ewe in 2015 when they were still selling fabric. By September, I was ready to start quilting! I did simple diagonal lines that were lined up with the corners of the squares. It was difficult to physically maneuver the quilt, but I finished it by working on it 15-20 minutes at a time which made it more manageable.
And here it is – finally finished. This project has been in the back of my mind since January 2015 and it feels good to finally call it DONE. It measures 80×96 and weight 5.4 pounds! I usually choose white backgrounds, but chose to do this one in blue because I wanted something that we could just throw under the maple tree in the summer without worrying about dirty and grime. This is going to be perfect.
I saved all of the trimmings from the quilt and made two minis out of it. One quilt was just simple triangles and the other was a pineapple quilt, which you can see here. And of course, there’s another stack of blocks waiting to be turned into a third mini quilt from this project. That’s one of the benefits of making such a huge quilt – the scraps can all be reused!
Today I’m joining the Needle and Thread Thursday linkup hosted by Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation. Thanks for visiting today and following along!